The American University is accepting applications for its fully-funded AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship.
About American University and Scholarship
The American University (AU or American) is a private research institution in Washington, D.C. with a federal charter. The majority of its 90-acre (36 ha) main campus is located in the Spring Valley district of Northwest Washington, D.C., on Ward Circle.
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship advances international diversity while promoting educational access and opportunity. The AU Emerging Global Leader combines the finest facets of AU: academic success, leadership development, and global participation. This allows them to flourish, inspire others, and serve with vision. The AU EGL is committed to bringing about constructive social and civic change, and they will go back to their home countries to better underdeveloped, underprivileged regions. The university invites you to meet their motivating recent EGLS alumni and AU Emerging Global Leader Scholars.
Details about the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship at American University:
Scholarship Sponsor: American University, USA
Scholarship Value: Fully Funded
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): American University, USA
The AU EGL scholarship covers all of a foreign student’s billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board), who needs a non-immigrant visa to study in the United States (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa). Non-billable fees like required health insurance, books, airfare, taxes, and other costs (which total around US$4,000 per year) are not covered by the scholarship.
The AU EGL scholarship is extendable for a total of four years of undergraduate education, based on continued success in the classroom. Students who are interested in applying might choose from any of the AU majors.
Eligibility Criteria for AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
Candidates for the AU EGLS must submit a Regular Decision application by August 2024. Applying an Early Decision (ED) is not advised.
Preference will be given to:
- Students from underrepresented cultural and socioeconomic origins as well as international students have overcome a variety of difficulties.
- A minimum GPA of 3.8 out of 4.0 (or being in the top 10% of the graduating class) for students in grades 9 through 12.
- A track record of community involvement, leadership, and dedication to promoting the interests of their people.
- Those students that have one of the following:
- 65 minimum PTE
- 125+ Duolingo (all subscores must be 115 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher. Each sub-score must be 169 or higher.
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (all subscores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (Taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (all subscores must be 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English.
- Those who are enrolled and will complete their secondary or high school education by June 2024
Important: IB students should strive to get a full IB diploma that includes at least three HL topics by the time they graduate. Students enrolled in the British A-Level system must complete 13 years of schooling and at least three A levels by August 2024.
You are NOT qualified to apply if:
- You hold dual citizenship with the United States and another country, are a permanent resident, or are considering becoming one.
- You have already begun or are presently registered for any post-secondary courses at a different university in your own country or the US.
- You completed your secondary education before 2022.
The AU EGLS admissions procedure is quite tough. Priority consideration will be granted to AU EGLS applicants who submit their applications by December 15, 2023, together with the Common Application, foreign admissions documents, evidence of English language competency, and bank letters attesting to a minimum US$4,000 deposit.
Application Procedure for AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
- Fill out the online AU EGLS application.
- You must send proof of at least $4,000 in US dollars in the form of a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form. These might be sent via fax to +1-202-885-1025 or uploaded using your Future Eagle Portal. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template
- By no later than December 15, 2023, you must send in your official TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, Duolingo English, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results. Please provide the American University, Undergraduate Admissions, Washington, District of Columbia, official English proficiency score reports directly from the testing organization. You should be aware that students cannot submit their results.
- Fill out and submit the Coalition Application or the Common Application, together with all supporting documents by the AU EGLS priority deadline of December 15, 2023, or at the latest, by January 15, 2024, per the checklist. Please take notice that a bank letter verifying a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$78,296) must be included in the preliminary AU EGLS application packet. Students whose applications are incomplete or lack the required supporting materials before the deadline will not be considered.
- If you are applying through a program sponsored by EducationUSA alternatively, if you have already received a FLEX or YES high school scholarship from the U.S. Department of State, please provide a note from the adviser at your local EducationUSA center attesting to your eligibility. You might ask for the letter to be delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF.
- You can still get admitted to American University in Washington, DC, and you might be eligible for partial merit scholarships even if your name isn’t selected as one of the finalists. You must, however, provide proof of finances totaling US$78,296 (expected expenditures for the first year of study) to move further with the application process.
Note: AU EGL semi-finalists and finalists will need to do Zoom interviews and/or extra essay submissions. If you have any inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
The Submission Deadline is: Not Specified