Application is now open for the BK Otway Education Foundation Doctoral Scholarships at Lincoln University. Interested applicants are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About Lincoln University and Scholarship
The School of Agriculture at Canterbury University College, which later became Lincoln University, was founded in 1878 and inaugurated in July 1880. With 56 students enrolled by 1885, 32 of whom were residing on campus, all classes were held in the main structure, subsequently known as Ivey Hall. William Ivey, the school’s principal, taught agriculture. George Gray, who taught chemistry and physics and stayed on staff until 1915, taught math, surveying, and bookkeeping. Eric Manley Clarke, the son of English geodesist Alexander Ross Clarke, was also a part-time lecturer.
Students participated in plowing, milking, and animal management on the 660-acre (270-hectare) college farm while also attending lectures on agricultural science and chemistry. It served students at Canterbury Agricultural College from 1896 to 1961 and provided degrees from the University of New Zealand until that institution’s closure. Before gaining independence as Lincoln University in 1990, it was known as Lincoln Institution, a constituent institution of the University of Canterbury, from 1961 to 1990. It is the Southern Hemisphere’s first agricultural educational facility. It is still New Zealand’s smallest university.
Lincoln University and Crown Research Institute AgResearch announced their intention to join in March 2009. Later that year, though, Lincoln University rejected the proposal due to budgetary issues. Following a period of deliberation, it was announced on November 18, 2010, that a merger between Lincoln University and Telford Rural Polytechnic would proceed, taking effect on January 1, 2011.
The BK Otway Education Foundation Doctoral Scholarships are offered by Lincoln University for the academic year 2023–2024 to honor and assist exceptional students in New Zealand. Students from New Zealand who want to pursue a doctor of philosophy at Lincoln University are eligible for the funding program.
Details about BK Otway Education Foundation Doctoral Scholarships at Lincoln University:
Scholarship Sponsor: Lincoln University, New Zealand
Scholarship Value: $35,000 stipend plus tuition fees
Number of awards: 1
Study level: PhD
Host Institution(s): Lincoln University, New Zealand
Eligibility Criteria for BK Otway Education Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
Applicants are advised to meet the following prerequisites to be eligible for BK Otway Education Foundation Doctoral Scholarships at Lincoln University:
- Scholarships are offered to students in New Zealand.
- Eligible Courses or Subjects: Candidates must hold at least a conditional offer of admission to Lincoln University’s Doctor of Philosophy program.
- Candidates must satisfy the following requirements to be eligible:
- Both New Zealand citizens and permanent residents are required to apply.
- BK To sponsor postgraduate study and research in the field of sustainable land management in agriculture or horticulture, contact the Otway Education Foundation.
- Admission requirements include having at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA), 12 credits from a previous college or university, photocopies of all tertiary qualifications earned outside of Lincoln University, as well as the grading scale and graduation certificates for each qualification.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) must be taken by students whose first language is not English to establish their competency in the language.
The following must be submitted by the candidate together with the scholarship application:
- A statement of the topic for the study; should be between half and one page long.
- CV which is currently in effect
- Lincoln provided a copy of the admittance letter.
Application Procedure for BK Otway Education Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
The applicants must enroll in the Doctoral program at Lincoln University to apply for the awards. Please download and fill out the BK Otway Education Foundation Doctoral Scholarship Application Form and return your application form to BK Otway Doctoral Scholarship Regulations (PDF 422 KB).
The Submission Deadline: 01 October 2023