Application is now open for the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds MD Fellowships. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) and Fellowships
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) is a public foundation that is autonomous and non-profit and exists only to promote fundamental biomedical research. They fund young, younger researchers whose work experimentally explains the fundamental aspects of human existence and host two International Titisee Conferences each year. They firmly believe that brilliant scientific discoveries require an environment that is exciting, independent, and has a stable financial foundation.
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) offers MD fellowships to exceptional medical students for up to 18 months, allowing them to embark on risky, experimental projects in basic biomedical research anywhere in the world. Fellowship participants have to study human medicine in Germany and relocate every ten months or more to work in a renowned laboratory. In addition to the monthly stipend, the foundation provides its fellows with seminars, travel reimbursements, one-on-one assistance, and access to a global network of fellows and alumni.
Details about Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds MD Fellowships:
Scholarship Sponsor: Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF), Germany
Number of awards: “Check Below”
Study level: PhD
Host Institution(s): Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF), Germany
Courses: Life Sciences, Medicine & Health Biomedicine Human Medicine
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) offers MD fellowships that are initially granted for 10 to 12 months and may be extended once for a total of 6 months. You may also attend seminars created especially for BIF fellows and grads, and you can receive travel expenses for things like visiting scientific conferences. As a BIF fellow, you join a thriving worldwide network built on kindness, respect, and countless in-person contacts. No matter what difficulties lie ahead, you will find a sympathetic ear and personalized guidance from like-minded individuals or the BIF team.
Eligibility Criteria for Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds MD Fellowships
Applicants are advised to meet the following conditions to be eligible for Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds MD Fellowships:
- The requirements for candidates seeking Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds MD Fellowships include studying medicine in Germany, pausing their studies, and changing their place of employment during the MD fellowship’s length.
- The third component of the medical examination cannot take place until after the candidates’ research stay.
- applicants who performed well or very well on the medical examination’s initial segment and in their subsequent studies.
- Candidates must submit their applications to the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds at least three months before the location is set to change.
- Applications must be submitted no later than eight years following the high school or university admission test.
- There is no support for clinical studies, botanical and prokaryotic research, or applied research.
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) is devoted to supporting excellent fundamental biomedical research. Therefore, applications for MD fellowships must be outstanding in terms of (1) the candidate’s prior accomplishments, (2) the caliber of the planned research topic, and (3) the caliber of the proposed host laboratory.
The BIF team first makes sure that each application satisfies all formal requirements (such as eligibility, topic, and attached papers). Applications that pass this formal evaluation are next subjected to peer review by the BIF Board of Trustees, which is made up of six prominent scientists who serve in an honorary role.
It may take three to four months to complete the selection procedure.
- The legally binding notice must be in writing.
- The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds’ decisions are final.
- Only in specific situations and following an agreement with the Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds is re-submission permitted.
Application Procedure for Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds MD Fellowships
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) requires that applications for MD fellowships be submitted in English and be self-written by the applicants. However, candidates are highly advised to consult with their scientific advisors about their draft ideas. Applications must be submitted to the BIF at least three months before the host laboratory’s intended change of site and start date.
Please send your application electronically in the form of a solitary, password-protected PDF file, with a maximum file size of 10 MB. All of the information and files indicated in 1 through 10—aside from the letters of recommendation—must be included in the PDF file. These may be supplied directly by your supervisors or included in your application. By submitting your application in the order listed below, you will speed up the decision-making process:
- Family name, first name(s)
- Date and place of birth
- Marital status
- Private address and telephone number(s)
- Current work address (university, institute, laboratory, supervisor, postal address)
- Email address(es) for contact.
- Exams for high school graduation or admittance into universities, such as the Abitur or A levels (location, date, grade)
- study at universities (institutions, times, subjects)
- Practical training, lab stays, summer courses, clinical traineeships, etc., if relevant (locations, dates, subjects, procedures, supervisors)
- Exams at intermediate and final levels (universities, dates, grades)
- MD thesis, if relevant (title, advisor, host institution, summary).
- Fellowships (funding agencies, dates)
- Prizes (names, dates).
- Military service or community service (dates)
- Paternity leave (dates)
- Vocational training (dates, description)
- Employment (dates, description)
- Future host organization (college, research center, lab, postal address)
- The scientific director at the hosting organization
- Name and address of your home university’s scientific advisor in Germany
- dates for the start and expected end of your research stay
- proposed MD fellowship start date
- Requested length (in months) for the MD fellowship.
Please be aware that the project proposal serves as the main focus of the examination and that applications for Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds MD Fellowships are dependent upon the project.
- Title of your research project
- Summary of your research project (~0.5–1 page).
Explicit presentation of your project:
- Introduction, present research state, and issue formulation (2–3 pages)
- Your background research, if relevant (if you have previously produced experimental data for your study proposal).
- Investigational aims, strategies, and techniques (4 pages). Please be thorough and clear enough so that top scientists who are not internal reviewers can assess your idea.
- A work timeline for the whole project (at least 10 months) that details how long each significant experimental phase will take
Please list up to 5 works from each of the following authors that were published during the previous five years in international, peer-reviewed journals (review articles and works in preparation excluded).
- Your scientific supervisor at the host institution
- Your scientific supervisor in Germany.
Please list authors, year of publication, title of paper, journal name, volume, and page numbers.
- Applications sent to additional funding sources
- Present funding from other organizations.
How did you learn about the MD Fellowship Programme:
- Personal recommendation (by supervisor/colleague)
- Articles (where?)
- Internet (which websites?)
- Other sources (please name, if applicable).
- Additional paperwork
- A motivational letter detailing your selection of the experimental research project and the hosting laboratory as well as your future intentions.
- Certificates of completion for the first part of the medical examination or equivalent test (1. Abschnitt der ärztlichen Prüfung bzw. Equivalenzprüfung am Modellstudiengang) and for any subsequent academic accomplishments (photocopies are acceptable)
- University admissions qualification certificate (Abiturzeugnis) (photocopy)
- A letter of reference from your host institution’s scientific advisor outlining your admittance to the host institute and the duration of your stay (please specify if this will be submitted separately)
- A letter of recommendation from your home university’s supervisor (please indicate if this will be sent separately)
- From your faculty’s dean (Studiendekan) or the matriculation office (Immatrikulationsamt): a legal document stating that you will stop studying and practicing medicine for the period of the fellowship.
- Data consent form, which has been signed (download consent form).
Please make sure that the documents listed in 2 through 6 are signed and have official letterhead.
Please send to
Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds
55116 Mainz, Germany
Tel: +49 6131 27 50 80
Note: Please carefully read the following requirements as well as Who can apply before applying for a Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) MD fellowship. You can also visit the official website for further details.
The Submission Deadline is: Not Specified