Application is now open for the Cecilie Anne Sloane Postgraduate English Creative Writing Research Scholarship at the University of Queensland. Interested applicants are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About the University of Queensland and Scholarship
The University of Queensland excels in numerous engineering disciplines, with notable global rankings. In the field of mining and minerals engineering, it proudly holds the 3rd position worldwide. In chemical engineering, its ranking ranges from 76th to 100th globally. Similarly, in civil engineering, UQ is ranked between 76th and 100th worldwide. In material science and engineering, it secures a position between 101st and 150th globally. For electrical and electronic engineering, UQ is consistently ranked within the top 150, specifically ranging from 101st to 150th worldwide.
UQ’s achievements extend beyond engineering. In the inaugural world subject rankings by the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR), it claimed the top spot in Biodiversity Conservation and reached the top 10 in 13 subjects based on the number of research articles published in top-tier journals.
Furthermore, in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021, the University of Queensland was featured in the top 50 globally in 20 different subjects. Notably, it takes first place in Australia and ranks second globally for Sports-Related Subjects. In the field of Mineral and mining Engineering, UQ is ranked second in Australia and a commendable third in the world.
The Cecilie Anne Sloane Postgraduate English Creative Writing Research Scholarship was established in 2006 in memory of Cecilie Anne Sloane, a former tutor and lecturer in the Department of English at The University of Queensland. This scholarship is made possible through the income generated from a perpetual endowment fund, established by a generous gift from her brother-in-law, RF (Ron) Diamond, and her sister, HM (Helen) Diamond. The primary aim of this scholarship is to empower Higher Degree Research candidates to pursue research in English language creative writing at The University of Queensland.
Details about Cecilie Anne Sloane Postgraduate English Creative Writing Research Scholarship at the University of Queensland:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Queensland, Australia
Scholarship Value: $2,000
Number of awards: May vary
Study level: Postgraduate/Research
Host Institution(s): University of Queensland, Australia
Enrolment Status: Current UQ student
Eligibility Criteria for Cecilie Anne Sloane Postgraduate English Creative Writing Research Scholarship
If you are a doctoral candidate conducting research in creative writing, you qualify.
Your application will be rated based on:
- academic success as well as the possibility of academic success; and
- the caliber of your academic and research output during your academic career, including your capacity for original research as well as your appropriateness and aptitude for it; and
- your accomplishments and expertise in creative writing in the English language.
- whatever else the selecting committee deems appropriate.
The Graduate School Dean will choose a scholar based on recommendations from a selection committee that includes:
- Academic staff from the School of Communication and Arts; and
- Non-university experts in the field of English language creative writing, with university academic staff in the majority.
The scholar is required to provide the selection committee with a comprehensive written report, suitable for distribution within the institution, detailing the progress and results of the research they conducted during the scholarship term, no later than three months after it ends.
Application Process for Cecilie Anne Sloane Postgraduate English Creative Writing Research Scholarship
The following files must be sent by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, November 13, 2023, to the School of Communication and Arts HLO (email@example.com).
- a cover letter outlining their research goals, addressing the selection criteria, and highlighting their accomplishments in academics and creative writing
- the prospectus as it was when it was confirmed
- a copy of your Milestone Confirmation report
- A private referee report from your primary adviser—or, if the principal advisor is on the selection committee, your associate advisor—must also be requested.
By the application deadline, your advisor must turn in this report to the School of Communication and Arts HLO (firstname.lastname@example.org).