Application is now open for the Community Surgeons Travel Awards at the American College Of Surgeons. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About American College Of Surgeons and Fellowship
In a top-notch and moral practicing environment, the American College of Surgeons is dedicated to improving surgical patient care and upholding industry standards of care.
The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is pleased to provide travel awards to surgeons between the ages of 30 and 50. These awards, valued at $4,000 each, enable international surgeons to attend and participate in all educational sessions of the ACS annual Clinical Congress. They are particularly meant to assist surgeons who work in local, regional hospitals or clinics outside of North America as well as those who come from underfunded university surgical departments.
A new Community Surgeon Travel Award created specifically for Filipino surgeons has been kindly funded by the Doctors Duremdes family. It prioritizes meritorious applicants from rural regions, Panay Island, and the Philippine province of Iloilo.
The annual Clinical Congress and one postgraduate course of their choosing that is presented in conjunction with the Clinical Congress are both free to each winner. Finding affordable accommodation in the city that is hosting the Clinical Congress will be made easier.
Details about Community Surgeons Travel Awards at the American College Of Surgeons:
Scholarship Sponsor: American College Of Surgeons, USA
Scholarship Value: $4,000 each
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Fellowship
Host Institution(s): American College Of Surgeons, USA
Eligibility Criteria for Community Surgeons Travel Awards
To qualify for the Community Surgeons Travel Awards at the American College of Surgeons, candidates are recommended to fulfill the following requirements:
- Candidates must be recent medical school grads who have finished their surgical residency.
- On the day the entire application is submitted, applicants must be at least 30 years old but under 50.
- The applicant’s anticipated permanent address must be used to apply. Applications will only be considered for processing if the candidates have finished all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships) and have worked in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year in their desired permanent location.
- Applicants must demonstrate dedication to excellent surgery, surgical training, and expanding community access to surgical care.
- The College’s online application form, which is offered to applicants, must be properly filled and submitted. The application must be presented in English, as must any supporting documentation. A curriculum vitae alone cannot be submitted.
- Candidates without surgical fellowships in the US or Canada or prior training will be given precedence.
- Three (3) distinct letters of recommendation from coworkers are required for all applications. The other letter must be written by a local fellow of the American College of Surgeons or by the department chair of the institution where they have a clinical or academic position. The letter from the chair or fellow should specifically mention the applicant’s dedication to superior surgery, surgical teaching, and expanding local access to surgical care. The individuals writing the recommendations should present letters of recommendation.
- The year for which the Community Surgeon Travel Awards are designated is when they must be used. They are not movable.
- Upon their return to their home country, awardees are required to submit a written report that focuses on the importance of the visit to them personally as well as any potential positive effects on local patients.
- Reapplying is only permitted twice, and each time, a fresh application and accompanying materials must be filled out and submitted.
Application Procedure for Community Surgeons Travel Awards
Log in or register for the fellowship here. Additional documents and questions are to be directed to the Scholarships Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org or Scholarships Administrator, American College of Surgeons, 633 N. Saint Clair St., Chicago, IL 60611-3295.
The Submission Deadline is: August 18, 2023.