Application is now open for the Corporate Civil Engineering Scholarship Scheme at the University of Southampton. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Southampton and Scholarship
The University of Southampton has its roots in the Hartley Institution, which was established in 1862 through a generous donation by Henry Robinson Hartley (1777–1850). Mr. Hartley had amassed a substantial fortune through his family’s success in the wine trade. Upon his passing in 1850, he bequeathed £103,000 to the Southampton Corporation to advance the study of sciences on his property located on Southampton’s High Street in the city center.
Hartley’s will stipulated that the interest, dividends, and annual proceeds from his bequest should be employed to best promote the study and advancement of various sciences, including Natural History, Astronomy, Antiquities, Classical and Oriental Literature. This promotion would be achieved by establishing a range of facilities such as a Public Library, Botanic Gardens, Observatory, and collections of objects related to these sciences.
Henry Hartley had unconventional views and was not particularly enthusiastic about the new docks and railways emerging in Southampton during his time. His intention was not to create a college for a broad audience, as was the trend in other industrial towns and commercial ports across England. Instead, he aimed to establish a cultural center that would cater to Southampton’s intellectual elite.
After significant legal challenges related to the interpretation of Hartley’s will and public debates regarding its terms, the Southampton Corporation decided to establish the Hartley Institution. This choice was made instead of creating a more widely accessible college, which some public figures had advocated for.
In international university rankings for the year 2023, the University of Southampton was ranked 78th in the QS World University Rankings and 108th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings. The 2022 Round University Ranking positioned Southampton at 72nd globally, while the 2022 CWTS Leiden Ranking placed it 85th worldwide. The 2021 U.S. News & World Report ranked the University of Southampton 97th in the world and 11th in the United Kingdom.
The University of Southampton offers the University of Southampton Corporate Civil Engineering Scheme (SUCCESS). This program aims to support students in the field of civil engineering.
- an annual bursary of £1,650
- a summer work placement that lets you use what you’ve learned and get valuable experience
- mentoring from a senior engineer in your sponsoring company
Details about the Corporate Civil Engineering Scholarship Scheme at the University of Southampton:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Southampton, UK
Scholarship Value: £1,650
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Southampton, UK
Courses: Civil Engineering
- A £1,650 yearly grant
- A summer work placement where you may put your knowledge to use and gain insightful experience
- Mentorship from a senior engineer in your sponsoring firm.
Eligibility Criteria for Corporate Civil Engineering Scholarship Scheme
Applicants are advised to meet the following requirements to be qualified for the Corporate Civil Engineering Scholarship Scheme at the University of Southampton:
- Enroll in a one-, two-, or three-year undergraduate degree in civil engineering; Work for your sponsoring firm for at least eight to ten weeks throughout the summer.
- The student’s sponsor requires a progress report from them each term.
- A minimum of 60% should be earned annually by students toward their degree.
Interview Process for Corporate Civil Engineering Scholarship Scheme
- Applications are forwarded to participating sponsors when the school has confirmed they meet the criteria.
- If the student’s application is selected for additional review, they will get an invitation to an interview and an on-campus selection day.
- The student will get a call after the interview to inform them of their selection.
Application Procedure for Corporate Civil Engineering Scholarship Scheme
In October or November, first-, second-, or third-year students studying civil engineering will get an invitation to apply for SUCCESS. You can visit the official website for further details.
The Application Deadline is: Not Specified