Application is now open for the Energizing Canada International Entrance Scholarship at the University of Calgary. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Calgary and Scholarship
The University of Calgary, commonly known as UCalgary, is a public research university situated in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The university’s history dates back to 1944 when it was established as the Calgary branch of the University of Alberta, which itself was founded in 1908. In 1966, it gained autonomy and became a separate institution. UCalgary comprises 14 faculties, and more than 85 research institutes and centers, and has a main campus in the northwest quadrant of Calgary, near the Bow River.
Additionally, there is a smaller south campus located in the city center. The main campus houses a majority of the university’s research facilities and collaborates with provincial and federal research and regulatory agencies, including the Geological Survey of Canada, which is situated adjacent to the campus. In total, the main campus spans approximately 490 acres (200 hectares).
As a member of the U15, a group of Canada’s leading research-intensive universities, the University of Calgary is known for its strong research programs, with a significant number of Canada Research Chairs. The university boasts a sponsored research revenue of $380.4 million and total revenues exceeding $1.2 billion. It maintains close connections with the petroleum and geoscience industry through its Department of Geosciences and the Schulich School of Engineering. The university also houses several other departments and faculties, including the Cumming School of Medicine, the Faculty of Arts, the School of Public Policy, the Faculty of Law, and the Haskayne School of Business.
The University of Calgary has a notable list of alumni, including former Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, James Gosling, the creator of the Java programming language, Garrett Camp, co-founder of Uber, astronaut Robert Thirsk, and Chip Wilson, the founder of Lululemon Athletica. The university’s alumni community spans over 170,000 individuals living in 152 different countries.
In terms of rankings, the University of Calgary has received recognition in various post-secondary rankings. In the 2024 QS World University Rankings, it was placed 182nd globally and eighth in Canada. The 2022 Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked it between 151st and 200th in the world and 7th to 8th in Canada. The 2023 Times Higher Education World University Rankings positioned the university in the 201–250 range globally and 8–10 in Canada.
The Energizing Canada International Entrance Scholarship was established to promote global diversity among students attending the University of Calgary, particularly those from high schools in China. Encouraging cross-cultural experiences aligns with the university’s “Eyes High” goals and contributes to creating global citizens.
Details about the Energizing Canada International Entrance Scholarship at the University of Calgary:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Calgary, Canada
Scholarship Value: $20,000
Number of awards: 1
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Calgary, Canada
Eligibility Criteria for Energizing Canada International Entrance Scholarship
Applicants are advised to meet the following requirements to be qualified for the Energizing Canada International Entrance Scholarship at the University of Calgary:
- The Annual Energizing Canada International Entrance Scholarship is available to international students who are beginning their first year in an undergraduate degree program at the University of Calgary. This scholarship can be renewed for the second, third, and fourth years at the university, contingent on recipients maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.00 after completing a minimum of 24.00 units in the preceding fall and winter terms.
- Recipients are chosen based on their academic achievements.
- Financial need is also considered when selecting scholarship recipients.
- To qualify, students must have graduated from a recognized high school in China, including Hong Kong and Macau.
- Preference is given to students entering specific undergraduate programs, which may include the Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Health Sciences, or Bachelor of Arts – Urban Studies program.
Application Process for Energizing Canada International Entrance Scholarship
To be admitted, you must first apply. Within 24 to 48 hours of submitting your admissions application, you will have access to the reward application.
- Using My UCalgary, you may get the award application. The password you created when you applied for admission will need to be used, along with your eID.
- Through My UCalgary, you may access the award application. The eID and password you generated when you applied for admission will be required.
You can also visit the official website for further details.