Application is now open for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities Partnerships PhD Scholarship at the University of Essex. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in.
About the University of Essex and Scholarship
Essex, England is home to the University of Essex, a public research institution. It was one of the first institutions to use plate glass, founded in 1965 by royal license. The motto “Thought the harder, heart the keener” is taken from the Anglo-Saxon epic “The Battle of Maldon,” and the university shield has the old arms linked to the Kingdom of Essex. With its main campus located in Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, it has three campuses spread around the county, one each in Southend-on-Sea and Loughton.
The TEF has awarded Essex a Gold rating for teaching excellence since 2017, and in 2018 it was crowned University of the Year at the Times Higher Education Awards. The REF also ranks Essex as an outstanding worldwide research-intensive university.
One PhD research scholarship is being made available by the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at the University of Essex to a student who wishes to take part in a collaboration with Unilever Art, Archives and Records Management (UARM). The chosen candidate will be awarded a complete PhD scholarship, which will cover all of your living expenses for three years while you pursue your studies. You will also get Proficio money for training, conferences, and travel.
Details about Faculty of Arts and Humanities Partnerships PhD Scholarship at the University of Essex:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Essex, UK
Scholarship Value: Check Below
Number of awards: 1
Study level: PhD
Host Institution(s): University of Essex, UK
- Waiver of domestic or international tuition fees.
- Living expense allowance at the yearly amount approved by UK Research and Innovation. Although the sum for 2023–24 has not yet been determined, the rate for 2022–23 was £17,668.
- A total of £2,500 in University of Essex Proficio money is available for advanced skill training, including conferences and travel.
Eligibility Criteria for Faculty of Arts and Humanities Partnerships PhD Scholarship
Candidates are advised to meet the following conditions to be qualified for the Faculty of Arts and Humanities Partnerships PhD Scholarship at the University of Essex:
- Candidates must apply for a Ph.D. in history with the project “Exploring Opportunities for Collaboration and Inclusion in the Unilever Archives” specifically mentioned. They must fulfill all requirements of the school’s offer and enroll as a postgraduate student at the University of Essex for the academic year 2023–2024 with a PhD starting in October 2023 or soon after as mutually agreed.
- A first class, a 2:1, or an equivalent honors degree is required of students. A Master’s degree in a related field is preferred (but not required), and substantial prior professional experience in the field can be used to satisfy this criterion.
- These grants are only available to students who would otherwise be completely self-supporting.
Note: It is not permitted to hold the grant concurrently with any other University of Essex scholarships.
Application Procedure for Faculty of Arts and Humanities Partnerships PhD Scholarship
This is one application for both the scholarship and the doctorate. The project “Exploring opportunities for developing and broadening inclusion in Unilever archives” must be specified while applying for the “PhD History” degree, along with the necessary supporting materials. The school’s online application process is simple and fast.
You must indicate “Unilever Art, Archives and Records Management Studentship” when asked to describe your “Proposed Research Topic or Area of Research” in your application. While a research proposal is not required, you should include a personal statement (maximum 1000 words) outlining why you want to apply for the studentship and why you are qualified to do so. Please be sure to include a clear narrative in your statement that identifies the misrepresented, underrepresented, or marginalized community or communities, or the specific intersectional identities, you desire to highlight.
The Application Deadline is: Not Specified