Application is now open for the National Centres of Competence in Research NCCR MARVEL Masters Fellowships. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About National Centres of Competence in Research NCCR MARVEL and Fellowship
Why NCCR MARVEL, you ask? Professors who hold important roles at MARVEL are overwhelmingly female. In contrast, there are extremely few female students choosing to major in computer science, physics, chemistry, or any of the other MARVEL-related subjects. Women scientists will be more prominent in recruiting attempts in the upcoming years.
In May 2014, the Swiss National Science Foundation established the NCCR MARVEL, a brand-new center for computational design and discovery of novel materials. In Switzerland, the MARVEL Masters Fellowships are being offered through the National Centres of Competence in Research (NCCR). The grants are designed to enable exceptional female students to perform their Master’s thesis research on “Computational Design and Discovery of Novel Materials” at a lab that is a part of the NCCR MARVEL.
Details about National Centres of Competence in Research NCCR MARVEL Masters Fellowships:
Scholarship Sponsor: NCCR MARVEL, Switzerland
Scholarship Value: CHF 12’000
Number of awards: 8
Study level: Fellowship/Masters research work
Host Institution(s): NCCR MARVEL, Switzerland
CHF 12000 (divided into 6 payments). External winners (from outside of Switzerland or with a host laboratory other than their home institution) get an extra CHF 500 for travel and other expenses. The NCCR MARVEL pays for extra-European students’ tuition costs and medical insurance if their home country does not provide it.
National Centres of Competence in Research NCCR MARVEL Masters Fellowships – Eligibility Criteria
Applicants are advised to meet the following requirements to be qualified for the National Centres of Competence in Research NCCR MARVEL Masters Fellowships:
- Applicants must be citizens of one of the qualified countries, which is Switzerland.
- Courses or Subjects That May Be Considered Eligible: The program allows participants to undertake master’s thesis research on “Computational Design and Discovery of Novel Materials” at a lab that is a part of the NCCR MARVEL.
- Eligibility Requirements: Awards are accessible to female master’s students who have just begun their research projects and who have exceptional drive and aptitude to carry them out in the laboratory of a principal investigator from MARVEL.
- Admission requirements include having all copies of one’s university degree(s) and transcripts from all grades to apply for the prize.
- The ideal applicant should have a strong grasp of the English language. So, English should be used in the application’s writing.
Members of the scientific committee and equal opportunities team of the NCCR choose candidates through a competitive process. Candidates will get an email reply in the middle of June or the middle of December on their application. Within two weeks, the chosen candidates will be invited to confirm their participation.
Only chosen candidates who have finished enrollment at their host university are awarded the fellowship. In most cases, chosen applicants are required to begin their Master’s thesis research at the host laboratory within six months of being selected. The completion of the Master’s research project must continue for the fellowship money to be paid out.
Documents Required for Application:
- Curriculum vitae (resumé)
- Motivational letter with a maximum of three preferred host laboratories
- One or two letters of recommendation that indicate your standing among your peers. The recommender(s) should send these letters individually to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A copy of your university degree(s) and all grade transcripts
Note: The preferred language for all papers and diplomas is English. The list of participating laboratories can be found here.
Application Process for National Centres of Competence in Research NCCR MARVEL Masters Fellowships
The candidates must send all supporting documentation and degrees to this email address at email@example.com.
Application Deadlines: 15 October 2023, 15 April 2024, 15 October 2024, 15 April 2025, and 15 October 2025