Application is now open for the Nuffield College Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellowship In Sociology. Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About Nuffield College and Fellowship
One of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England is Nuffield College (/nfild/). It is a graduate school with a focus on the social sciences, notably sociology, economics, and politics. With just about 90 postgraduate students and 60 academic fellows, Nuffield is one of Oxford’s smaller and younger colleges, having been established in 1937. Being coeducational since its inception, it was also the first Oxford college to admit both men and women. It was also the first college in Oxford or Cambridge to be solely for graduate students.
Two Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellows (PPRFs) in Sociology, which is widely defined to cover sociology, demography, criminology, social and medical statistics, public policy, and social policy, are to be appointed by Nuffield College with effect from September 1, 2024, or as soon as feasible after. Although it is not a prerequisite, the College especially encourages submissions from applicants who now work in or intend to work in one or more of the Sociology Fellows’ fields.
The main duties of the Research Fellows are to carry out independent scholarly research in sociology, broadly construed, and advanced study in that field (as stated above); to disseminate research findings through publications and participation in conferences and seminars; and to contribute to the intellectual life of the College by organizing seminars, workshops, or conferences. Research Fellows may also work up to 48 hours per year in paid, ad hoc teaching or supervision at Oxford’s college university.
Candidates must have finished or almost finished a Ph.D. or DPhil in a pertinent discipline to be eligible. At the time of application, candidates must be less than three years removed from the date of their doctoral defense. Candidates are required to disclose pertinent information to make allowances for professional pauses (such as family-related leave, for instance). Candidates who have not held a research fellowship similar to the one being advertised for more than a year at the time of accepting the fellowship will be given preference.
A track record of great articles that are acceptable for and compatible with their professional level should also be present for prospective applicants, as well as expertise in conducting independent research. In addition to having good oral and written communication abilities, they should be eager to contribute to the college’s intellectual life.
The Fellowships are full-time, fixed-term positions that must be filled on or before September 1, 2024. The typical post-end date is August 31, 2027. Candidates who haven’t finished their PhD at the time of application should be aware that they might need to have submitted their doctoral dissertation for examination by the end of May 2024 to accept the Fellowship in September 2024. At Nuffield College, the positions will be located. The offered pay is £39,378 per year (compensation for 2023–2024).
Details about Nuffield College Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellowship In Sociology:
Scholarship Sponsor: Nuffield College, UK
Scholarship Value: £39,378 Per Annum
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Fellowship
Host Institution(s): Nuffield College, UK
- The offered income is £39,378 ANNUALLY. Research Fellows may choose to rent a single room in the college, pending availability.
- Benefits include free lunch and dinner at the college as well as a research allowance.
Eligibility Criteria for Nuffield College Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellowship In Sociology
Applicants are advised to meet the following prerequisites to be qualified for the Nuffield College Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellowship In Sociology:
- Candidates should have finished or almost finished a Ph.D. or DPhil in a pertinent discipline.
- At the time of application, candidates must be less than three years removed from the date of their doctoral defense (viva voce test). Candidates are required to disclose pertinent information to make allowances for professional pauses (such as family-related leave, for instance).
- Candidates who have not held a research fellowship similar to the one being advertised for more than a year at the time of accepting the fellowship will be given preference.
- Additionally, potential applicants should have a history of producing high-caliber articles that are acceptable for and compatible with their career stage as well as experience doing independent research.
- They should be eager to contribute to the college’s intellectual life and possess strong verbal and written communication abilities.
Note: The positions are full-time and have a three-year fixed term that begins on September 1, 2024, or as soon as is practical after that date.
Required Documents for Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellowship In Sociology
You must fill out an application form, and a recruiting monitoring form, and upload the following files to submit an online application:
- A cover letter outlining how you satisfy the Fellowship’s eligibility requirements.
- A Curriculum Vitae with a complete list of works published or papers produced.
- A one-page summary of your most recent study.
- A one-page summary of the study you intend to do as a Postdoctoral Prize study Fellow; and
- Two samples of your writing, each with a one-page abstract (such as research articles or chapters from a thesis).
Application Procedure for Nuffield College Postdoctoral Prize Research Fellowship In Sociology
Interested and qualified candidates should log in or register for the scholarship here. Go to Nuffield College on apply.interfolio.com to apply. Please click the ‘Apply’ link below to submit an online application for this position. By clicking this, you will be sent to the Interfolio Web Recruitment System, where you must create an account (if you haven’t already) and log in before submitting an online application.
You will be required to provide the names, postal addresses, and email addresses of at least two academic referees on your application form so that they may contact them later on in the selection process to ask for references in support of your candidacy. Please make sure that the referees you have suggested will be accessible in October 2023 to serve as references.
Please email Interfolio at firstname.lastname@example.org if you experience any technical problems when submitting your online application. Please email the Nuffield College Registrar at email@example.com with any additional questions.
Please email the Nuffield College Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org if, for your convenience, you would like to submit a paper application. The US-based provider Interfolio handles data on computers located outside of the European Economic Area. Visit www.interfolio.com/privacy-policy/ to see Interfolio’s privacy statement. Interfolio does not handle information supplied in hard copy.
The Submission Deadline is: September 25, 2023