Application is now open for the QUT Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship at Queensland University of Technology. Interested applicants are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About Queensland University of Technology and Scholarship
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) is a public research university located in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, with campuses at Gardens Point and Kelvin Grove. The university was established in its current form in 1989 when the Queensland Institute of Technology (QIT) was granted university status through the Queensland University of Technology Act 1988. The institution officially commenced its operations in January 1989, and in 1990, it merged with the Brisbane College of Advanced Education.
The Westpac Young Technologists scholarship is a prestigious program that offers financial support and a range of other valuable opportunities to its recipients. Beyond the financial assistance, scholars become part of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network, a dynamic community of some of Australia’s brightest minds. This network provides ongoing collaboration, networking, and lifelong learning opportunities.
The scholarship includes participation in the Disruptive Leaders program, where students gain insights and skills to become leaders in the technology sector. As lifelong members of the Westpac 100 Scholars Network, they benefit from internships, mentorship from accomplished professionals, leadership development, and exclusive networking experiences.
One of the highlights of this scholarship is the five-day residential Disruptive Leaders Program, which takes place in Singapore. During this program, Young Technologists and Scholars come together to learn, collaborate, and connect. They engage in a variety of activities, including industry site visits, panel discussions, networking events, and team challenges. This immersive experience enhances their understanding of the technology landscape and how it can be harnessed to address global challenges. Additionally, scholars receive training in inclusive leadership and improve their pitching and presentation skills.
The Westpac Scholars Trust, which supports this program, was initiated in 2016 with a generous $100 million gift from the Westpac Group. The trust’s mission is to fund 100 scholarships annually, in perpetuity. Over the years, it has welcomed over 740 Westpac Scholars and awarded more than $40 million in scholarships through partnerships with leading Australian universities and across five different scholarship programs.
Details about QUT Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship at Queensland University of Technology:
Scholarship Sponsor: Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Scholarship Value: Up to $20,000
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Courses: Data Science, Games and Interactive Environments, Information Technology
Applicants will receive:
- Funding: You will receive up to $20,000 in flexible funding, which can be used for your undergraduate studies, covering course fees, degree materials, or living expenses. This funding consists of $15,000 awarded directly to you, distributed as $5,000 per year over three years. Additionally, there is an extra $5,000 allocated to cover the expenses associated with attending the Westpac Disruptive Leaders Program.
- Westpac Scholars Summit: As a scholarship recipient, you’ll have the opportunity to attend the Westpac Scholars Summit in Sydney. This event provides a platform for networking and collaboration, enabling you to engage with fellow scholars and accomplished professionals.
- Residential Experience in Singapore: You will participate in a one-week residential program in Singapore, where you’ll have the chance to meet and learn from renowned tech experts from around the world. This experience is not just about technical skills but also focuses on developing essential soft skills, including effective communication, cultural competence, and leadership.
- Lifelong Membership: Upon receiving the scholarship, you will become a lifelong member of the W100 Scholars Network. This network is a diverse and continually growing community of inspiring Australians who are ready to collaborate, challenge, and offer support. Membership in this network provides access to exclusive networking opportunities and professional development activities that might otherwise be difficult to attain.
- Admission into the QUT College of Excellence.
QUT Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship – Eligibility Criteria
Candidates are advised to meet the following conditions to be qualified for the QUT Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship at Queensland University of Technology:
- Citizenship or Residency: You must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Year 12 Completion: You should have completed Year 12 or a gap year in 2023.
- University Enrollment: You must be enrolling in a university for the first time in 2024. This scholarship is for new university students.
- Academic Achievement: You should have obtained an ATAR (Australian Tertiary Admission Rank) of 90.0 or better, or have the equivalent International Baccalaureate (IB) qualification. ATAR adjustment plans may be relevant in determining eligibility for these awards, indicating that they consider specific circumstances that might affect your ATAR.
- Preference for QUT: In your QTAC (Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre) application, you should have indicated that QUT is your top choice.
- Preferred Study Area: You must be requesting to begin one of the eligible study programs:
- Gender Balance: The scholarship aims to encourage and support students of all genders, with a particular focus on increasing the participation of underrepresented genders (typically women) in technology-related fields.
- Socio-Economic Background: Students from low socio-economic designated schools may receive special consideration. This is aimed at ensuring that students facing financial or social disadvantages have an opportunity to pursue a career in technology.
- Indigenous Australian Heritage: Indigenous Australian students may also receive specific consideration. This recognizes the importance of Indigenous representation and diversity within the technology sector.
Scholarship assessment will be based on:
- responses to application questions that indicate how you meet the scholarship criteria (see ‘Who are we looking for?’ below)
- academic performance
- gender and diversity profile
- interview if successfully shortlisted.
Who are they looking for?
- Talent and Curiosity: They should be highly talented and inquisitive individuals who have a genuine desire to make a positive impact on Australia. They are eager to explore their interests and passions in the field of technology.
- Effective Communicators: Successful candidates should be good communicators who are open to new ideas, willing to build networks, and eager to seize new learning opportunities.
- Active Networkers: They should be enthusiastic about actively participating in the Westpac 100 Scholars Network, engaging with a diverse community of scholars, and contributing to its goals.
- Diversity and Inclusion: The scholarship is open to candidates from diverse backgrounds and walks of life. It aims to promote diversity and inclusion within the technology sector and the scholarship program.
- Passion and Fit: The selection process prioritizes the applicant’s passions, interests, and alignment with the opportunities offered by the scholarship. Academic achievements, while important, are not the sole focus of the assessment.
Applicants need to:
- Fill out the online scholarship application and send it in before the deadline.
- Fill out a QTAC application by the deadlines specified, prioritizing QUT and a qualifying QUT course.
Applications will be evaluated by the institution based on eligibility requirements and application questions answered.
- Applications will only be evaluated if they satisfy all qualifying requirements.
- A shortlist and an interview offer will be made to the candidate who scored highest on this evaluation.
- To be eligible for this award, at least 50% of the qualified candidates must identify as women.
In early February 2024, you must be available to attend an interview with officials of QUT and the Westpac Scholars Trust if you are selected for further consideration. The top-ranked applicants will get offers after the interview.
Application Process for QUT Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship
If you’re interested in and eligible for the QUT Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship, please register or log in here. If you’re considering applying but still have some questions, Register here for the online information session that will go over everything from financing standards and qualifying requirements to the essential characteristics of a Westpac Scholar and how to finish your application. In addition, previous researchers will share their insights with you, and there will be an opportunity for questions at the conclusion. You can also visit the QUT website or the official website for further details.
The Submission Deadline: January 15, 2024