Application is now open for the Sidney Myer Centennial Scholarships at the University of Melbourne. Interested applicants are encouraged to send in their applications before the deadline date.
About the University of Melbourne and Scholarship
The University of Melbourne, a prestigious public research institution situated in Melbourne, Australia, holds the distinction of being the country’s second-oldest university and the oldest in the state of Victoria. Established in 1853, the university’s main campus is nestled in Parkville, an inner suburb located to the north of Melbourne’s central business district. Additionally, the university maintains several campuses across the state of Victoria. Notably, the University of Melbourne achieved a global ranking of 33rd and clinched the top position in Australia in the 2021 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) league table.
The Sidney Myer Centennial Scholarship is a testament to the university’s commitment to fostering academic excellence and inclusivity. This scholarship, generously endowed by Sidney Myer, commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Faculty of Business and Economics in 2024. It serves as a means to provide substantial support to students who are presently underrepresented in the Bachelor of Commerce program or who have demonstrated significant disadvantages or financial needs in their pursuit of tertiary education.
This scholarship is a transformative opportunity for deserving domestic students, as it encompasses three distinct categories of eligibility. Successful recipients of the Sidney Myer Centennial Scholarship will receive a full tuition fee remission and a generous living allowance spanning three years. It’s important to note that this scholarship will only be available in the year 2024. This initiative underscores the University of Melbourne’s dedication to creating a diverse and equitable academic environment while commemorating a significant milestone in its history.
Details about Sidney Myer Centennial Scholarships at the University of Melbourne:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Melbourne, Australia
Scholarship Value: 100% fee remission and up to $112,500
Number of awards: Up to 16
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): University of Melbourne, Australia
Study Areas: Commerce, Economics, and Management
Eligibility Criteria for Sidney Myer Centennial Scholarships
Applicants are advised to meet the following prerequisites to be qualified for Sidney Myer Centennial Scholarships at the University of Melbourne:
- Countries Eligible: All nationalities are welcome to apply.
- Acceptable Subject or Course: The prize will be given for a bachelor’s degree in management, economics, and commerce from Melbourne University.
- Acceptable Standards: The candidates must fulfill all requirements to be eligible:
identify as non-binary or as a woman (cisgender and transgender women),
Having applied through the VTAC Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS), satisfied the requirements for entry into Access Melbourne for the Bachelor of Commerce nominated in their VTAC application, and qualified under Category 2 Disadvantaged Financial Background (and apply under other categories if applicable to their circumstances),
Be a holder of an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa.
You also need to fulfill every one of the following criteria:
- possess a permanent residency permit in Australia, or be a citizen of New Zealand,
- Having finished the IB or Year 12 in Australia,
- not finished any courses taken for a postsecondary degree (except those included in an extension program),
- have submitted a VTAC application for the University of Melbourne’s Bachelor of Commerce, with a start date set for the year after Australian Year 12 or the IB completion
- Meet the prerequisites to apply for the Bachelor of Commerce program at the University of Melbourne.
- Admission Requirements: A minimum ATAR of 90 or above is required for applicants to be considered for admission to a university course.
- Language Requirement: Before enrolling in classes at Melbourne University, make sure you meet all of the English language requirements.
Applications must include copies of academic transcripts and documentation of English language competency.
Application Process for Sidney Myer Centennial Scholarships
The grant does not have a separate application procedure. When candidates apply to the University of Melbourne for admission to a bachelor’s degree, they will automatically be considered for this award. Students who satisfy the requirements will be automatically nominated for the scholarship based on the data they submit in their VTAC application (and, if relevant, in their SEAS application). In January 2024, the selected domestic students will get notification of their scholarship offer. The email address a student uses to apply to the university is where scholarship offers are issued. Only successful scholarship recipients are awarded. Rejected candidates won’t get a notification.
The Submission Deadline is: 30 November 2023