Application is now open for the SmartSat CRC Dr. Peter Woodgate Scholarships for Earth Observation at Flinders University. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About Flinders University and Scholarship
Flinders University is a public research university situated in Adelaide, South Australia, with 11 campuses spread across the state and the Northern Territory. It was named after British sailor Matthew Flinders, who explored and surveyed the Australian and South Australian coastlines in the early nineteenth century.
According to the 2021 Graduate Outcome Survey – Longitudinal, provided by the Australian Government’s Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching, Flinders University tops the nation in postgraduate employment outcomes.
The late Dr. Peter Woodgate played a key role in establishing the SmartSat CRC’s organizational structure and governance framework. He served as the organization’s first chair from August 2019 until his untimely death in December 2022. Dr. Woodgate spent more than 30 years working closely with the geospatial and space sectors. The SmartSat CRC Dr. Peter Woodgate was established to recognize Peter’s enormous contribution, enthusiasm, vision, and unwavering dedication to the development of these sectors in Australia and across the globe. Starting in 2024 through 2026, scholarships for Earth observation will be given out annually.
Current or prospective Masters by Research or Ph.D. students who wish to pursue study in the subject of Earth Observation are welcome to submit applications. All SmartSat scholarship recipients who complete the SmartSat education and training program become valuable members of SmartSat and gain access to a robust professional development program that includes opportunities to take part in the SmartSat conference series and networking events. They also gain access to its graduate network.
Being a part of an organization that combines research and industry benefits their students as well. SmartSat actively encourages students to complete internships with business and end-user partners so they may gain expertise in both academic and commercial research.
Details about SmartSat CRC Dr. Peter Woodgate Scholarships for Earth Observation at Flinders University:
Scholarship Sponsor: Flinders University, Australia
Scholarship Value: $35,000
Number of awards: 1
Study level: Postgraduate
Host Institution(s): Flinders University, Australia
SmartSat CRC Dr. Peter Woodgate Scholarships for Earth Observation – Eligibility Criteria
Applicants are advised to meet the following prerequisites to be qualified for SmartSat CRC Dr Peter Woodgate Scholarships for Earth Observation at Flinders University:
- Australian nationals or lawful permanent residents are required. Female candidates, those from rural or regional locations, and qualified Australians with Indigenous ancestry will all receive special attention.
- The online application form must be completed by the applicants, together with any extra supporting documentation.
- Applicants must be enrolled at or planning to enroll at one of the SmartSat partner universities, one of which is Flinders.
- The applicants must have spoken with the appropriate academic supervisors about their study and obtained their support in the form of a letter of support that will be included with their application.
- The default position will be that SmartSat controls the intellectual property (IP) in cases where SmartSat supports the principal scholarship. To facilitate this, the scholarship recipient will need to give their IP to the host University. SmartSat will adopt a generous stance in regards to assisting the student to partake in the commercialization activities and any rewards if there are prospects to commercially utilize the IP.
Application Procedure for SmartSat CRC Dr. Peter Woodgate Scholarships for Earth Observation
The Submission Deadline is: September 30, 2023