Application is now open for the Victoria University of Wellington Kahurangi Scholarship (School-leaver scholarships for exceptional M?ori students). Interested applicants are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the Victoria University of Wellington and Scholarship
A public university in Wellington, New Zealand is known as Victoria University of Wellington (Mori: Te Herenga Waka). It was a founding college of the University of New Zealand when it was founded in 1897 by an act of parliament. In addition to a wide variety of other courses, the institution is renowned for its programs in law, the humanities, and various scientific fields. Entry to all first-year courses is open, while certain programs (such as law, criminology, creative writing, architecture, and engineering) have restrictions on second-year admission.
Victoria, which was placed fourth in 2006 and third in 2003, had the top overall research grade in the Performance Based Research Fund exercise of the New Zealand Government in both 2012 and 2018. The QS World University Rankings (2020) have Victoria placed 215th out of the top 500 universities worldwide.
Exceptional M?ori scholars are honored with the Wellington Kahurangi Scholarship. We support candidates who have excelled academically as well as in the fields of leadership, culture, and community service.
The scholarship package includes complete housing expenses* for the first year on the Marino Floor in Joan Stevens Hall, where tikanga M?ori (M?ori cultural practices) and te reo M?ori (M?ori language) are an integral part of daily life. Along with $5,000 toward tuition in the second and third years of study, there is devoted pastoral assistance. An additional $15,000 in fees can be spread out over three years for students who do not live in a residence hall.
Details about the Victoria University of Wellington Kahurangi Scholarship:
Scholarship Sponsor: Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Scholarship Value: Up to $20,000
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Undergraduate
Host Institution(s): Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Eligibility Criteria for Victoria University of Wellington Kahurangi Scholarship
Candidates are advised to meet the following requirements to be qualified for the Victoria University of Wellington Kahurangi Scholarship (School-leaver scholarships for exceptional M?ori students):
- A strong connection to one’s whakapapa and registration with at least one iwi are requirements for applicants, who must be of M?ori heritage.
- The NCEA Level 2 Certificate (or an alternative certificate with a similar level of accomplishment) must be validated with Merit from Year 12 to qualify.
- Candidates must intend to enroll full-time in their first undergraduate degree at Te Herenga Waka—Victoria University of Wellington—in the year after submitting their application.
- To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, candidates must be in Year 13 or have finished Year 13 the year before and be taking a gap year.
Scholarships will be given based on academic excellence, as well as in the areas of leadership, culture, and community service. The Te Herenga Waka — Victoria University of Wellington Undergraduate Scholarship Committee will make the choice.
- A one-page personal essay describing any leadership qualities and/or community involvement.
- A school reference, which should be sought through the online application
- A testimonial from a kaumatua who can support your whakapapa, such as an iwi representative of a runanga or trust board (to be sought via the online application).
Application Procedure for Victoria University of Wellington Kahurangi Scholarship
On the closing date, a full online application must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. Applications that are submitted late or in part won’t be approved. The application must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date together with any necessary supporting materials (including references).
Please remember not to create your Community Force account using your secondary school email address if you intend to apply for this award. As a result, no emails will finish in school.nz.
Scholarships and PhD Admissions Office
You can also visit the Victoria University of Wellington website for further details.
The Application Deadline is: 1 September 2023 at 4:30 pm New Zealand timezone