Application is now open for the William Georgetti Scholarships at the University of Twente. Interested candidates are encouraged to send their applications in before the deadline date.
About the University of Twente and Scholarship
Founded in 1961 as Technische Hogeschool Twente (THT), the University of Twente has emerged as a dynamic and influential institution, securing its place as the third polytechnic institute in the Netherlands to attain university status, following Delft University of Technology and Eindhoven University of Technology. The pivotal transformation to Universiteit Twente (University of Twente) occurred in 1986, reflecting legislative changes outlined in the Dutch Academic Education Act of 1984.
The selection of Enschede, the primary city in the Twente region, as the host for the Netherlands’ third technical university, was a strategic decision by the Dutch government. This choice was influenced significantly by Twente’s thriving manufacturing sector, encompassing textiles, metal, electrical engineering, and chemicals. Additionally, the establishment of the university was envisioned as a catalyst to stimulate the local economy, addressing the challenges posed by the declining textile industry. The municipality of Enschede further facilitated this vision by providing the Drienerlo estate for the inaugural campus of the University of Twente.
Acknowledged as one of the top 200 universities globally, according to the Times Higher Education Ranking, the University of Twente has particularly excelled in the Industry, Innovation, and Infrastructure 2021 ranking, securing the eleventh position worldwide. The university’s strengths extend to psychology and social sciences, earning a commendable 101–125 placement in the global rankings. Furthermore, in the Shanghai Ranking 2021, the University of Twente received recognition for the excellence of its Geoinformation and Earth Observation Sciences.
The William Georgetti Scholarship holds a distinct purpose—to foster postgraduate study and research, primarily within New Zealand. The Scholarship Board directs its support to fields deemed integral to the social, cultural, or economic development of New Zealand. This initiative underscores a commitment to advancing knowledge, encouraging scholarly pursuits, and contributing to the multifaceted development of the nation.
Details about William Georgetti Scholarships at the University of Twente:
Scholarship Sponsor: University of Twente, Netherlands
Scholarship Value: Up to $NZ45,000 per annum
Number of awards: N/A
Study level: Masters
Host Institution(s): University of Twente, Netherlands
Eligibility Criteria for William Georgetti Scholarships
Applicants are advised to meet the following requirements to be eligible for William Georgetti Scholarships at the University of Twente:
- Possess been residents of New Zealand for a minimum of five years before to the year of selection (for more details, see the Regulations).
- Possess a good reputation and moral fiber.
- Maintain excellent health.
- Possess a degree from a university in New Zealand or abroad, or any other academic credential from a university or other learning institution (in New Zealand or elsewhere) that the Scholarship Board deems to be a reasonable substitute for a degree from a New Zealand university.
Applications from individuals engaged in postgraduate research or study programs will not be accepted after the deadline if, on the application deadline:
- They have been enrolled in their study or research program for more than nine months, or
- They have less than a year left in their research or study program.
Application Procedure for William Georgetti Scholarships
Applicants must use the Universities NZ online scholarship application page to apply for the scholarship. The deadline for applications is February 1st in the year of selection. To apply online, applicants will need to submit the following information:
- a summary of the candidate’s intended research or advanced study program, together with an explanation of the suggested techniques of investigation for research programs
- two individuals whose names have been asked for character references: The candidate’s academic aptitude and likelihood of success in the intended postgraduate program should be discussed by one of these references.
- a thorough list of the candidate’s preceding five years of residency
- a Curriculum Vitae.
The Application Deadline is: February 1st, 2024